Wednesday, August 16, 2006

St Johns Wort and Insomnia

sleep tips

Usually known as St John's Wort, extracts of the plant Hypericum perforatum, have been used as an antidepressant for over 2000 years. In Germany St John's Wort is licensed for depression, anxiety and insomnia.

St. John's wort is believed to work by allowing more serotonin to linger in the brain--good news, as low serotonin levels have been linked with depression. The herb may also lower levels of the protein interleukin-6--high levels of this protein are also associated with depression.

I have been taking SJW for 5 months now, and have found that it has helped my anxiety and hence I have been sleeping better. However it has mainly helped my mild depression.
I don't think I would take it just for insomnia. There are milder and more effective herbs for that, such as valerian and theanine for anxiety.

St Johns Wort may react with other herbal remedies and medication so do check with your doctor or pharmacist before using.

sleep tips

No comments: